Stuffed peppers are a classic comfort food that usually contains rice or breadcrumbs. But, if you’re following a low-carb or keto diet, those ingredients are a no-go. Luckily, this keto stuffed peppers recipe is just as delicious and satisfying, without any of the carbs.
– 4 medium bell peppers, halved and seeded
– 1 lb. ground beef
– 1/2 cup chopped onion
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
– 1/4 cup tomato sauce
– 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Vegetarian/Vegan alternative: Substitute ground beef with cooked lentils or crumbled tofu. Use vegan shredded cheese instead of cheddar.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef until browned. Drain excess fat and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, sauté onion and garlic until softened.
4. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to the skillet.
5. Stir in cooked ground beef and mix until well combined.
6. Arrange pepper halves in a baking dish and fill each with the beef mixture.
7. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
8. Remove the foil, sprinkle shredded cheese on top of each pepper, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
9. Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
– For a spicier version, add 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the beef mixture.
– You can also add chopped veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, or spinach to the filling for extra flavor and nutrition.
Why This Recipe is Keto-Friendly:
– Bell peppers are low in carbs and high in fiber, making them a great keto-friendly vegetable.
– Ground beef is a good source of protein and healthy fats, which are essential for a keto diet.
– The recipe uses tomato sauce and diced tomatoes in moderation, which adds flavor without adding too many carbs.
– Shredded cheddar cheese is a good source of calcium and protein, and is low in carbs compared to other types of cheese.
This keto stuffed peppers recipe is a delicious and easy way to enjoy a classic comfort food while sticking to your low-carb or keto diet. The recipe is also versatile, as you can easily customize the filling with your favorite veggies or protein sources. Whether you’re a meat lover or a vegetarian/vegan, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!